Project Objectives - Clinical Research
- Characterize the clinical features and natural history of MacTel from the earliest to the vision-threatening stages
- Collect genetic samples of affected individuals and their families to establish whether there is a genetic basis for the disease.
- Promote and publicize the disease amongst their colleagues in the ophthalmic community as an important subject for research
- Gather evidence on the results of any treatments that have already been employed for patients with MacTel
- Conduct pilot clinical trials for MacTel of therapies that are emerging for the treatment of other retinal vascular diseases
- Develop and support a Web site to provide information for the benefit of patients with MacTel.
Research Objectives - Laboratory Research
- Produce a more detailed understanding of the pathogenetic mechanisms of MacTel emphasizing both early and critical stages
- Identify a mouse model(s) for MacTel
- Clarify the genetic basis for MacTel in mouse models and humans
- Identify potential novel treatments
- human progenitor cells